LAST MILE for BoP Distribution at the Base of the Pyramid
Internship Offer - minimum 3 months, ideally 6-12 months Communication & Digital Marketing
Last Mile for BoP is a fast growing profit-for-purpose start-up based in Cape Town (V&A Waterfront). Our mission is to improve the access to affordable products and services in townships and rural areas. Our objective is to modernize the retail sector in these areas.
We develop a mobile application that enables informal grocery stores to compare wholesalers’ prices in their area and order their stock at the best price directly from their phone. We deliver their order to their doorstep within a few hours.
Using our app, informal traders can save up to 10% on the cost of their stock and their customers can access a wider range of products at more affordable prices.
We also help companies to access these markets by offering them visibility in our app and access to live, localized and detailed market data collected through the app.
We particularly like to assist manufacturers of social products (solar lights, clean cook stoves, sanitary pads, water filters, fortified food, etc.) to distribute their products where they are most needed.
We are looking for highly motivated, energetic and organized team members to join our team for an internship. For the next 6 months, we will focus on the following targets:
- Grow our user number from 150 to 5000 (our users are informal traders in townships);
- Get 30 wholesalers and 60 FMCGs companies to use our app as a marketing tool;
- Raise 3 million euros in grants, CSI funds or equity to finance our 4 stage plan;
- Improve our mobile application (conducting user tests for feedback) & develop new features;
- Develop market reports from the data we collect through our app;
- Explore new regions to expand our activity.
2. Position description
The intern will be working in close contact and under the direct supervision of the general manager on various assignments. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Improve the content of our existing website;
- Defining our communication strategy and manage the communication and digital marketing
- Improve our social media presence on Facebook and LinkedIn and explore the opportunity to
administer some Whatsapp or Wechat groups;
- Assist to develop our corporate identity and style guide;
- Work on targeted communication and PR campaign to increase the reputation of our project
in the informal sector as well as in the wholesale and FMCG sector (write article in specialized newspapers and magazines, write post on Linkedin and Facebook, participate in the creation of visuals and short videos);
- Working with the founder on other tasks according to the intern’s skills, motivation and aspirations.
Candidates should combine an analytical and an entrepreneurial spirit and be resourceful.
They should be motivated by a fast-paced start-up environment and flexible in their work arrangements, be ready to take responsibilities and work under tight deadlines, have experience working in teams as well as independently, and show initiative and pro-activity.
They should feel comfortable with presenting their work to high executives, as well as organizing workshops with social entrepreneurs, or interviewing informal traders “in the field”.
They should have a deep commitment to solving social issues and ideally an experience in the emerging world.
More specifically, the intern will demonstrate the following skills:
- Good written and oral communication skills and proficiency in preparing presentations;
- Attention to detail, commitment to follow-through and self-organization;
- Excellent interpersonal skills: within a team, as well as with clients and partners;
- Fluency in English – additional local language a plus.
Finally, the successful candidate will ideally have previous work experience (including internships) in a demanding corporate environment (start-ups, ad agencies for example), and at least one of the following:
- Work experience “in the field”, or have stayed (for more than 3 months) in a developing country, or
- Personal involvement in social initiatives.
4. Work arrangements
The intern will work in the Last Mile for BoP office, located in the Waterfront, Cape Town. Travelling might be required on specific assignments.
The internship will last at least 3 months and can start at any time during the year. The internship is not paid.5. To Apply
Please send a short email (including your dates of availability) and resume to arnaud.blanchet@lastmileforBoP.com, with “Communication & Digital Marketing Internship Position” in the subject line.
Last updated by Adrien Maire Jan 30.