LAST MILE for BoP Distribution at the Base of the Pyramid
Internship Offer - minimum 3 months, ideally 6-12 months Finance & Administration Internship
Last Mile for BoP is a fast growing profit-for-purpose start-up based in Cape Town (V&A Waterfront). Our mission is to improve the access to affordable products and services in townships and rural areas. Our objective is to modernize the retail sector in these areas.
We develop a mobile application that enables informal grocery stores to compare wholesalers’ prices in their area and order their stock at the best price directly from their phone. We deliver their order to their doorstep within a few hours.
Using our app, informal traders can save up to 10% on the cost of their stock and their customers can access a wider range of products at more affordable prices.
We also help companies to access these markets by offering them visibility in our app and access to live, localized and detailed market data collected through the app.
We particularly like to assist manufacturers of social products (solar lights, clean cook stoves, sanitary pads, water filters, fortified food, etc.) to distribute their products where they are most needed.
We are looking for highly motivated, energetic and organized team members to join our team for an internship. For the next 6 months, we will focus on the following targets:
- Grow our user number from 150 to 5000 (our users are informal traders in townships);
- Get 30 wholesalers and 20 FMCGs companies to use our app as a marketing tool;
- Raise 3 million euros in grants, CSI funds or equity to finance our 4 stage plan;
- Improve our mobile application (conducting user tests for feedback) & develop new features;
- Develop market reports from the data we collect through our app;
- Explore new regions to expand our activity.
2. Position description
The intern will be working in close contact and under the direct supervision of the general manager on various assignments. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Integration of our accounting and finance in Xero software to automate our accounting process; analysis of other business software available to automate as much as possible of our administrative activity (CRM, etc.)
- Profit & Loss statement and cost accounting weekly follow-up; interaction with the accountant to prepare the financial statement;
- Business analysis of the existing activities to improve efficiency and social impact; setup and follow up of efficiency, results and social impact measurement tools;
- Assistance to develop the financial part of our marketing offers to FMCG companies and wholesalers;
- Analysis of the BBEEE policy (positive discrimination) in South Africa to optimize our offers to FMCG companies and attract the funds they must contribute to BBEEE projects;
- Participation to the fundraising campaign; researching and applying to grant funding competitions; preparation of investor notes.
- Working with the founder and other team members on other tasks according to the intern’s skills, motivation and aspirations (spaza shop visits to test new app features, analyse our users’ needs to develop new offers, organize social conferences to animate the social business ecosystem in Cape Town, etc.)
Candidates should combine an analytical and an entrepreneurial spirit.
They should be motivated by a fast-paced start-up environment and flexible in their work arrangements, be ready to take responsibilities and work under tight deadlines, have experience working in teams as well as independently, and should be resourceful, show initiative and pro-activity.
They should feel comfortable with presenting their work to high executives, as well as organizing workshops with social entrepreneurs, or interviewing informal traders “in the field”.
They should have a deep commitment to solving social issues and ideally an experience in the emerging world.
More specifically, the intern will demonstrate the following skills:
- Good written and oral communication skills and ideally proficiency in preparing presentations;
- Strong quantitative skills and proficient in Excel;
- Attention to detail, commitment to follow-through and self-organization;
- Excellent interpersonal skills: within a team, as well as with clients and partners;
- Fluency in English – additional local language a plus.
Finally, the successful candidate will ideally have previous work experience (including internships) in a demanding corporate environment (top consulting firm for example), and at least one of the following:
- Work experience “in the field”, or have stayed (for more than 3 months) in a developing country, or
- Personal involvement in social initiatives.
4. Work arrangements
The intern will work in the Last Mile for BoP office, located in the Waterfront, Cape Town. Travelling might be required on specific assignments.
The internship will last at least 3 months and can start at any time during the year. The internship is not paid.
5. To Apply
Please send a short email (including your dates of availability) and resume to arnaud.blanchet@lastmileforBoP.com, with “F&A Internship Position” in the subject line.
Last updated by Adrien Maire Jan 30, 2018.