LAST MILE for BoP Distribution at the Base of the Pyramid
Internship Offer - minimum 3 months, ideally 6-12 months Business Development – Right Arm to the General Manager
Last Mile for BoP is a fast growing profit-for-purpose start-up based in Cape Town (V&A Waterfront). Our mission is to improve the access to affordable products and services in townships and rural areas. Our objective is to modernize the retail sector in these areas.
We develop a mobile application that enables informal grocery stores to compare wholesalers’ prices in their area and order their stock at the best price directly from their phone. We deliver their order to their doorstep within a few hours.
Using our app, informal traders can save up to 10% on the cost of their stock and their customers can access a wider range of products at more affordable prices.
We also help companies to access these markets by offering them visibility in our app and access to live, localized and detailed market data collected through the app.
We particularly like to assist manufacturers of social products (solar lights, clean cook stoves, sanitary pads, water filters, fortified food, etc.) to distribute their products where they are most needed.
We are looking for highly motivated, energetic and organized team members to join our team for an internship. For the next 6 months, we will focus on the following targets:
- Grow our user number from 150 to 5000 (our users are informal traders in townships);
- Get 30 wholesalers and 60 FMCGs companies to use our app as a marketing tool;
- Raise 3 million euros in grants, CSI funds or equity to finance our 4 stage plan;
- Improve our mobile application (conducting user tests for feedback) & develop new features;
- Develop market reports from the data we collect through our app;
- Explore new regions to expand our activity.
2. Position description
The intern will be working in close contact and under the direct supervision of the general manager on various assignments and 4 main missions:
- Increase the number of our spaza shop users to 5000 and develop specific services for them;
- Develop our services for FMCG companies and reach 10 paying clients within 3 months;
- Develop our services for wholesalers and connect to 15 paying stores within 3 months;
- Develop our sales of fortified food (e’Pap) to distribute 5 tons per month within 3 months;
The intern will be responsible for one of these missions but will work on all of them. Specific responsibilities will include:
“User - Spaza shops” missions:
- Conduct user tests in spaza shops to register new users and get feedback from users and improve our app;
- Develop growth hacking plans to increase our number of users and reach 5000 users. This includes but is not limited to facebook campaigns, referral programme, marketing offers, partnerships, loyalty programme, etc;
- Develop our network of contacts in the informal sector economy and raise awareness around our mobile application;
- Conduct spaza shop interviews to identify new users’ needs;
- Maintain up to date the data we have about our users and their use of our mobile app (google
analytics reports).“FMCG companies” missions:
- Elaborate, test and sale marketing services based on our app to FMCG companies (these services include ads in-app – banners, popup, notifications –, market data – surveys, market share report, basket analysis –, and marketing campaigns); develop the marketing material required;
- List all FMCG companies to target in South Africa, find the right contacts in the organizations and get meetings with the decision makers; follow-up on the discussions until we close the deal (target of at least 10 successfully closed deals within 3 months);
- Elaborate and test weekly marketing experiments (in and out the app) to test new services, measure our impact and better understand our users and the needs of FMCG companies; develop business case that we will use to showcase the value of our services;“Wholesalers” mission:
- Elaborate, test and sale marketing services based on our app to wholesalers (in addition to services listed above for FMCG companies, it also includes the development of click & collect services, order & delivery services, the integration of their loyalty programmes in our app or the development of chatbots to conduct price negotiations with spaza shop users);
- Test the accuracy of our price comparison and improve our processes to capture prices to reach 95% accuracy; collect all specials and promotions at wholesalers and display them in the app;
- List all wholesalers to target in South Africa, find the right contacts in the organizations and get meetings with the decision makers; follow-up on the discussions until we close the deal (target of at least 15 successfully closed deals within 3 months);
- Develop our network of contacts in the wholesale sector and raise awareness around our app.
Fortified Food – e’Pap mission:
- Find new products and brands of fortified food to distribute, including ready to eat healthy snacks;
- Find new clients (schools, creches, NGOs, corporates), develop a proposal for a public tender for all Cape Town schools;
- Increase the number of resellers in our reseller network;
- Run marketing experiments to test the distribution of e’Pap in spaza shops.
The intern will also work with the founder on other tasks according to the intern’s skills, motivation and aspirations.
Candidates should combine an analytical and an entrepreneurial spirit and be resourceful.
They should be motivated by a fast-paced start-up environment and flexible in their work arrangements, be ready to take responsibilities and work under tight deadlines, have experience working in teams as well as independently, and show initiative and pro-activity.
They should feel comfortable with presenting their work to high executives, as well as organizing workshops with social entrepreneurs, or interviewing informal traders “in the field”.
They should have a deep commitment to solving social issues and ideally an experience in the emerging world.
More specifically, the intern will demonstrate the following skills:
- Good written and oral communication skills and ideally proficiency in preparing presentations;
- Strong quantitative skills and proficient in Excel;
- Attention to detail, commitment to follow-through and self-organization;
- Excellent interpersonal skills: within a team, as well as with clients and partners;
- Fluency in English – additional local language a plus.
Finally, the successful candidate will ideally have previous work experience (including internships) in a demanding corporate environment (top consulting firm for example), and at least one of the following:
- Work experience “in the field”, or have stayed (for more than 3 months) in a developing country, or
- Personal involvement in social initiatives.
4. Work arrangements
The intern will work in the Last Mile for BoP office, located in the Waterfront, Cape Town. Travelling might be required on specific assignments.
The internship will last at least 3 months and can start at any time during the year. The internship is not paid.
5. To Apply
Please send a short motivation email (including your dates of availability) and resume to arnaud.blanchet@lastmileforBoP.com, with “BD Internship Position” in the subject line.
Last updated by Adrien Maire Jan 30, 2018.